Sunday, November 13, 2016

Vacation Disappearance

I was on vacation this week and I totally disappeared!

I didn't do much-took mom to the doctors a couple of times and made a road trip to Chouteau, Oklahoma. I also haven't read much this week.




I did get 1984 finished. I had started this last year and spent the summer ignoring this one. Turns out that last summer was the calm before the storm and was probably not the best time to be reading anything. Which explains why I've become so hooked on fan fiction.


One of the best quotes from this book:

We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a Revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Kinda chilling considering the current political climate.

Why did I read this one? It is on the Amazon 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list. Also, considered a classic and something that I needed to read at least once in my lifetime.




I got A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fears read over a week. I read a few pages at work, half of the book waiting on my mom for a mammogram, and the rest at IHOP. It's a short book and it seems like a dream sequence. However, now I'm curious about the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan and looking forward to more books about and set in this country.

Why did I read this one? Working on reading books by and set in countries of the world.





What's next on my TBR? I will be delving into Baltimore Noir more this week and dipping into Flatland. Also, Lee Child's newest, Night School, is in transit so I should have that inhaled in couple of days. Also, I want to dip into Unplug the Christmas Machine this week.

Then I'll have The Exorcist to finish, Only Rule is Has to Work, and Christmas Fairytales to read over the last 10 days of November. Over Thanksgiving weekend, I'll decorate the house, put on Christmas tunes, and read Hope of Christmas. Check my Goodreads to-read page for info on the books. I keep it in order of how I'm going to read stuff-although small switches happen as due dates and holds can make things change priority.


What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

First "Did Not Finish"

I have had my first DNF (did not finish) of the year. Sadly, it's for a book club I'm doing with some friends from work. Mayhem by S...